CBTF
May 19, 2026
16:57:00
The much-publicised possibility of a Big Bash League (BBL) match in Chennai this December has moved a step closer to reality, with the road now appearing clear for the fixture to go ahead.
A formal agreement between the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), Cricket Australia (CA) and the Tamil Nadu Cricket Association (TNCA) is yet to be signed, but that is understood to be a formality, with the governments of India and Australia involved in the process. A host of exchange programmes between the two countries are currently being worked on, with sport forming one of the key focus areas. Cricket - and the proposed BBL game - is part of that initiative.
A joint delegation from CA and the BBL was recently in Chennai to conduct a recce of the city and the MA Chidambaram Stadium for the proposed match, which is expected to be held sometime in the second or third week of December. There have been suggestions that the game could be played on December 12, although the TNCA said it is yet to receive exact confirmation.
"Confirmation should come in a couple of weeks from the CA. Their members were there for last night's game and they have said they will revert with all the information," a TNCA office-bearer told Cricbuzz.
The CA delegation was present at the stadium for the Chennai Super Kings-Sunrisers Hyderabad IPL game on Monday, alongside BCCI president Mithun Minhas and acting CEO Hemang Amin.
The TNCA had previously maintained that the proposed match could not go ahead without BCCI approval. Asked about it, a TNCA official indicated that clearance is expected soon.
"Our understanding is that it should not be a problem. Our understanding is that the BCCI has been taken into confidence, but we are waiting for the final papers," the official said.
Cricbuzz has reached out to CA for an official response on the development.